Thursday, February 14, 2008

macbook air arrives with buggy trackpad

Arrived home from my week of travels to find my shiny new Macbook Air had been delivered two days ahead of schedule. Joy! I was planning to hold off on a review until I had some significant time with it, but that plan has vanished behind a red haze of frustration and anger .

The bloody trackpad has an intermittent problem. After working for a while, the mouse will start jumping around, randomly clicking, and generally being completely unusable.

(*@&^$#!

Actually, let me be clearer.

(*@&#)^$%$^#!!!!

There are some rumors of faulty trackpads and grounding problems on the web, but clearly not enough Macbook Airs are in the field for trends to have emerged.

We'll see how the Apple Store handles this after I get done with my 130pm meeting. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

RIP said...

You shoulda bought a DELL dude! :)

Anonymous said...

Dude, don't you know better than to get first gen Apple hardware ;)

cory ondrejka said...

I've actually had pretty good luck with rev 1 hardware. Weird, I know.

PulseBurst said...

Maybe are you building up a static electric charge on your body?

cory ondrejka said...

So, that was one theory, but I've since reproduced the problem with nothing touching the machine, with the machine plugged in, etc.

Nick said...

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. And the spurious "clicks" are becoming very problematic.

Unknown said...

I just got a macbook air a few weeks ago. I have a microwave next to my work area and noticed that my trackpad acts screwy when it's too close to the microwave. Could it be that the trackpad is picking up interference from nearby electronics of some sort?

Zé Mané said...

I bought my MBA few weeks ago and I am experiencing the same trackpad malfunctions. Do you have any updates about this problem? How to fix it? Thank you! ;-)