Thursday, October 09, 2008

oath of office

When you join the United States military, you take the oath of office. This oath states:

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.

Like me, John McCain took this oath upon graduation from the United States Naval Academy. Each year, McCain takes the oath again as a member of Congress.

I would like him to square that oath with a campaign that encourages this:





These people are not all crazy or stupid. Instead -- worse -- they are normal people, worried about the future for themselves, their families, and their children, being willfully mislead, distracted, scared by a campaign more focused on winning at all costs than remembering the oath Senator McCain took.

While Senator McCain is not responsible for the behavior of every one of his friends or supporters, to encourage this kind of mob mentality is reprehensible and irresponsible.

He should be ashamed of himself.

2 comments:

riffraff814 said...

The thought occurs to me that the "gloves" comment from the kid in the second video could be a "kid overhears but misunderstands" comment.

Pundit 1: Did McCain take the gloves off tonight?
Pundit 2: No, he really didn't. We were hoping he would though.

Kid hears: McCain needs gloves to talk to Obama.

YUKIKO said...

How scary this is.... Those interviews do not appear on CNN or BBC so the wider public has no idea what is really happening in this campaign.

The influence a mother has on her children is enormous. I am concerned how those children would grow up with such a biased world view. This is sad reality for the sake of the future of the US.