One of the unexpected impacts of being on my own was the need to scan and fax documents. After a bit of research -- not enough, as it turns out -- I grabbed the HP 3055 at the local Staples. I picked the HP because I don't need color printing but do regularly need to scan more than one page. Also, it has an ethernet port, so I could just plug it into my home network.
Alas, while I did peruse Amazon's ratings and comments, I didn't do the critical Google search:
- Use older version of HP scanning software
- Run HP Scan under Rosetta
So, if you go to System Preferences -> Print & Fax and click on the "+" to add a printer, under the default option, the Bonjour printer pops up right away. However, if you wait for about 15 seconds, the printer will also show up as a Network Printer. Select that one. Then run HP's Setup Assistant and put in the IP address of the Network Printer and voila, everything works.
Me thinks something changed in Bonjour!
So, to recap, to get your HP 3055 to properly scan under OS X 10.5 Leopard:
- Use System Preferences -> Print & Fax to remove the Bonjour printer
- Click the "+" to add a new printer
- Wait until the Network Printer shows up as an option, then select it
- Now run HP's setup, reference the printer via IP address